Saturday, June 6, 2009

While You were Sleeping....

I found a way to post pictures...quite time consuming...but at least it works! I hope.
This Morning (Saturday, June 5) We toured Beijing: Tian An Men Square, The Forbidden City, Olympic Park, Lunch at the Friendship Place, then off to climb The Great Wall.

Our Guide in Beijing, Susan, was a Godsend. She is a wonderful Christian lady. She has been praying for all of us families adopting (we are traveling with 13 families). She is certainly "not afraid of the gospel". She's an inspiration for sure.

The morning started with an amazing Breakfast at Renaissance Beijing.
I had eggs, hash browns, fresh ginger, yogurt, smoked salmon, mushrooms, waffles, french toast, fresh watermelon juice.
Ken had much the same plus some beef something, and something else we didn't know what.
Alec had a banana french toast waffle...he was happy to say the least.

From 2009-06-06


Then we left to tour Tian An Men Square - the rain was coming down, but we didn't care in the least!
From 2009-06-06


hang on still posting....just wanted to see if this works
ok....so far so good....

Here is a picture of guards in Tian An Men Square. They started to march when they realized I was shooting a picture of them...Can I tell you how GLAD I am they don't have eyes in the back of their heads???
From 2009-06-06


Yes it is...and Yes I did!!!
From 2009-06-06


After Tian An Men Square, we walked underground to the Forbidden City...truly amazing. The History, the Architecture, the purpose of that city (for the Emperor only) is astounding. We took a gazillion pictures, but because of the pouring rain, most came out fuzzy...When you come to see Addie Grace, we will show you!

Then we took a trip to Olympic Park, and visited the Bird's Nest, The Water Cube (Michael Phelp's home!)...
From 2009-06-06


Then while you all were sleeping at 2:00 a.m....we decided to climb this...
From 2009-06-06

...ohhh that picture is only 1/4 way up...

Can you see the parking lot below? Yeah. That's were we started. We're not even halfway up at this point
From 2009-06-06


Ken & Alec climbing
From 2009-06-06


YAY! WE MADE IT TO THE TOP!!!
There is a saying in China that if a man starts climbing the Great Wall and makes it all the way to the top, then he is a "Real Man"..aka "The Man Challenge"...not sure what that makes me.
From 2009-06-06


On the way down...this shows you a bit of perspective of how high we were.
From 2009-06-06


no lie...this wall with it's 1900 irregular stone steps that we climbed, kicked our butts....but the view (when not cloudy) was "breath-taking" (pun TOTALLY intended), and again the history of this wall is still completely unbelievable.

The evening ended with Ken and I walking across the street and getting an $11 foot massage....WOW. and OW. :)

We are heading back up to the room to pack our suitcases to fly out to Nanchang in the morning for "Gotcha Day". The most amazing moment that we have been waiting years for.

Addie Grace...we're coming to Bring You Home!

We will post as soon as we get to the room and love on our baby!

Thank you for all of your comments...we love reading them!

8 of Your AMAZING Comments Here!:

Shannon Johnson said...

WOWOWOWOWOW! How amazing! I am so happy for you guys. The pictures area amazing and I am so glad to see them! Girl.... can't believe that it was...and that you did! That owned me....you girly girl - way to go! Love ya'll...praying for you too. We too are ready for Gotcha Day!!!!

Shelley McCraw said...

I am praying for you all especially Addie. I can't wait to see you all with her.

Anonymous said...

Dear Family, What incredible pictures we are so happy that you have been able to do everything on your schedule. How wonderful to have a christian guide. Glad that you had an American breakfast, Alec
Praying, Praying, Praying. Addie is going to love her new family. I am so excited about waking up Sun. morning and seeing my new granddaughter!!!!
Love and Hugs Mom J

Unknown said...

Congratulations guys on climbing the wall. So happy to hear that you made it safe and sound. We are cheering you on as you prepare for tommorrow. Praise God. God bless you all! Pat and Cindy and 4M's

Anonymous said...

Bring Addie Home!!!

Can't wait for Gotcha Day and can't wait even more for the 17th!!

We love you all!

Alec, Live the Adventure!!!!

Love,
Mom and Jeff

Becky said...

So much fun to read about what you're doing. Love having the pics too. We're reading this blog when it's 9 am on the day you get Addie :) So awesome!!

M and M Girls said...

Just a fellow adoptive mom living in Franklin TN, I have a daughter who was adopted from China in 2006.
I stumbled upon your blog and love following and praying for families as they adopted. Watching you brings back so many memories. I also have a daughter who was adopted from Vietnam. Enjoy your time in China and live in the moment. Don't forget to pickk up a Chinese newspapers from Gotcha Day and Adoption Day....having something with the actual date on it with all the days happenings in China (and her province) is priceless. congratulations.
Diane
mommy to the M and M Girls

Heather Marvin said...

I am LOVING your posts!!!!! :) My computer froze up the other night when I was reading... but I had to come back and comment! :)
I can't believe you climbed ALL THOSE STAIRS!!!! :) amazing!!!
Your pictures are SO great! :)
Love you guys!!!!