Sunday, June 7, 2009

2:00 a.m. in Nanchang

Thank you all for your sweet comments. Shelley the scripture you quoted was more encouraging for me with us being in a distant land...it's good to hear from you all.

We all fell asleep around 9:30 pm and Addie awoke crying in the middle of the night. Ken said, guess what time it is? 11:00!" I so wanted it to be 6 in the morning.

She woke up twice so far. All I did was pick her up and hold her and rock her. She just wanted to see my face. She stares deeply into our faces. that is a good sign. She keeps waking me up by her sweet sucking noises...I feel like I have a newborn again!

Her Development: She really is a peanut! She can wear everything we brought...all a little big. She is very aware of what is going on in the room...however, she seems to be on a 4-5 month level as far as body movements. She can't sit up yet, and when I put her on a blanket on her tummy, she doesn't scoot or roll over.

What is so cute, is she is constantly moving her feet...like my mom!!! Round and Round! She kicks her legs constantly like Alec did when he was a baby!

ok..and she has the absolute flatest head I've ever seen. The back of her head is completely flat...wearing a headband will be a challenge!

After she pooped...a good thing because most adopted babies wont do this for 3-4 days, I changed her, and finally got a brief smile out of her.

She seems very content. You can tell that she has been covered in prayer. God is so good!

I never expected the rush of emotions. ok. So no one ever blogs about this part... I had a moment where I grieved over the end of our "family of 3"...never really saw that coming. Someone said you can get the "baby blues" with adoption. I think it's just sheer exhaustion and the OVERWHELMING task/responsibility of caring for another child. We will fall into our groove soon...but right now I would do anything to get on the first plane home. I am incredibly homesick! I am ready to fall into my "New Normal" let me tell ya.

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to reading them!

Yall...she really is precious. We are so blessed. I was walking to fill out papers and there are babies screaming, won't go to the moms...or whatever. wow. Addie Grace is so laid back and content. I think she likes us!

ok. Enough for now. I'm wide awake...but we have a long day tomorrow with appointments starting at 8:00 a.m. Alec wants to stay at the hotel while we travel. I'm not comfortable with that. I feel very uneasy in this city.

Thank you for your prayers. We love you all

More pics tomorrow!!!

11 of Your AMAZING Comments Here!:

The Needhams said...

We are sooooo excited for you guys! Addie is beautiful. We can't wait to meet her in person. Kari & I were tearing up reading your blog!

We'll be praying for your safe return.
/Dan & Kari

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful!!!

I know this is a dream fulfilled for you all and we are so excited about this precious little jewel that God has given to our family. I was just able to get to a computer since I've been at church all morning. What a great joy!

I love you all very much and can't wait until we see you. I agree with Kelly and wish you were getting on a plane to come home right away.

Try to get some rest and just enjoy being with Addie and each other. You'll be home soon, but for now savor every moment of this great adventure.

We wish we were there with you!

Ken, don't forget to have your phone charged and in your pocket so you can call us the momeent the wheels touch down in Chicago...:)

God is Good! We love you and will see you soon!

Jeff
P.S. I agree you should make Alec travel with you. He needs to take in the full experience. He can't get that from a hotel room.

Kelly J said...

Thanks Needhams!

Hey Papa! Thanks for your comment! Love and Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I loved chatting with you online.Our Addie is beautiful! Can't wait to meet her!!! She looked very content in the pictures.She is going to have all of you wrapped around her little finger!!!Especially her big brother. She seems to be a sweet baby,so relax and enjoy the rest of the trip. We're praying for you.See you soon. Love you, Mimi

Shannon Johnson said...

So glad you are posting! I know how tired you must be. We are praying energy and endurance! Totally understant the Alec deal - I would feel the same. You guys are great parents...you've raised a wonderful son and now...you are going to raise a wonderful daughter. If I know you...though you are tired, you are enjoying every rocking motion while holding that sweet girl....even if you are insanely tired. :) Love you. Keep posting!

Anonymous said...

Dear Family
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Kelly,it helps us feel like we are there with you. Addie is so precious I can't stop looking at her. Hope you can get some rest and relax a little now. We continue to hold you all in our prayers. It seems like along time until you arrive home but it will go quickly. Enjoy each day as each will be a new adventure. Alec will have a lot to share with his friends when he gets home. How many teens get to climb the Great Wall of China!! We love you all so much.
Mary is in the hospital so I have been sharing with her all about your trip and our Addie, she is so happy and wants you to know that she has been praying for you all. I told her that she will have lots of pictures to look at on the computer when she gets home.
God Bless you.
Love and hugs Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

We are SOOOOOOO excited for you! She is beautiful. I have cried just reading the blog and seeing the awesome pics of your gotcha moment. We are praying for the Lord's strength to strengthen you, for His joy to sustain you, and for His love to cover everything in between. We prayed for you all today in church. Know you are missed and we love you and cant wait to welcome home your new addition!!
Shannon & Chris

Unknown said...

So glad you all get to blog from your trip. Sounds like China with the 5 star hotel is a bit more advanced than Ethiopia. There was no internet and outside our hotel the kids got to see a drunk man being drug by the neck and we were offered sheep as an entree...jk,Ha!(jk, the sheep part, not for us anyway)I know you will be glad to get home. That baby is just precious. The new fam of 4 is beautiful. Can't wait to hold her. I'll come straight over when I get back from ET. Enjoy all the sites.

Cindy said...

Ken and Kelly,
Congrats! I've been out of town and finally got a look at sweet Addie! She's adorable! I can't wait for more pictures (hint, hint). I KNOW how exhausting that trip is and we're praying for you. It can be so emotionally and physically draining, but God is so good...he'll bring you through with the most amazing memories of this most momentous journey. I think you'll find Guangzhou a little more relaxing, so you have that to look forward to.

We can't wait to meet her!
Pat and Cindy

Unknown said...

Love reading about your journey to your daughter. I love how real you're being in your writing. I have also thought and griefed a bit about my little boy 6 not being the only child. I know we will be so blessed but I think that is normal when things change. And then one day... you will wake up and I and think what did we do with out them. Be blessed.. praying for you all, Rhea Anne

Unknown said...

By the way Addie is beautiful!!! :)