Today (Wednesday 6/10/09) we traveled to an ancient Chinese village. Originally built around the year 600. Actually, 3 villages combined, surrounded by mountains and rice paddies... very cool... very Chinese! It was about a one hour bus ride outside of Nanchang through the countryside. Saw many farmers working the rice paddies with water buffalo and by hand. Very time consuming and back breaking work.
We were able to photograph and interact with the villagers. Some were not interested and others were very curious and anxious to talk to us (and sell us hardboiled eggs, rice wine or other things the make in their village). The older people, especially, love to have their picture taken and then take a look at the picture. They usually laugh out loud. Probably amazed to see themselves. The first older gentleman I took a picture of sat up so straight in his chair and smiled so big. Very sweet people.
Addie, on her first stroller ride... with big brother, Alec.
A Buddhist Temple...
The woman on the left was a persistent egg salesman! :)
She followed us for a while and she got my attention as we were passing her house, so I asked her if she'd like for me to take a picture of her in front of her house... she was very proud.
This Evelyn (one of our amazing guides) drinking from the well of longevity...
Locally grown veggies...
Locally grown slimies...
Woman selling locally fermented rice wine...
Addie and her little friend Lydia...
Little game of Chinese dominos... that and cards are a big part of the culture around here...
And of course... some good photo ops with Sweet Adeline and her momma...
Addie on the long bus ride back to Nanchang...
Sweet Miss Evelyn gave mom and dad a break while we ate lunch. Addie is so good with everyone. No problems going to other people.
We had a great day. Then Alec and I (Ken) took an adventurous journey through the streets of Nanchang to find a little street flea market type set up... actually, we were looking for one store and stumbled upon this. I say adventure because to cross the street between blocks is a life threatening experience (tons of cars and motorscooters - electric ones that you can't hear coming). But we lived!
And Alec found his personal gadget/DVD/high-powered laserpointer/pocket knife heaven... fortunately, we still have a "weight limit" when traveling so he is unable to purchase the arsenal that he desires! :)
Tried a "western" cheeseburger and fries at the hotel... they didn't quite make it as far "west" with the flavor as I would have liked, but it was passable...
We're heading to a porcelain shop today... as we may have already mentioned, JiangXi province (Addie's home province) is the world capital of Porcelain. So we're excited to get ahold of something made especially in her home area.
We love you all... hope you enjoyed your little tour of rural China... more to come!
Love, Ken, Kelly, Alec and Addie Grace...
6 of Your AMAZING Comments Here!:
Since Addie is happy going to others, does that mean I get her in the church nursery?? I know you might want to wait on that, but I will be waiting in line to "love on her".
I absolutely love all the rural shots. You haven't really experienced China until you visit a village. I could almost smell China looking at all the beautiful pictures. Ahh...again, wish I were there.
We logged in together... wish we could have traveled together... but then again, you wouldn't have Mei Lin! Can't wait for you to hold her, too! Blessings, Ken
Nice suprise to have a tour tonight before I climb into bed. Loved all the pictures you are doing a great job Kenny. Glad Alec has found some souvenirs. Grandma D still hasn't gotten to see any of the pictures. She went to the library and even with help couldn't get the link Sandy Grutta the same thing Strange. Aunt Mary is home now.
Pray you all get a good nights sleep. Love Mom
Loved the pictures! These will be great to keep in a scrapbook for Addie.We look forward to all the pictures and updates.It helps us feel we are there with you. I am so glad Addie doesn't mind being held by other people.I can't wait to hold her and kiss her and hug her. It is so sweet to see Alec taking such good care of her. It looks like he is her "brave protector"! We love and miss all of you and counting down the days till you get home!!!Love Mimi
Loving every moment of it...thank you for taking the time to share all of this with us. So wonderful.
Love all the smiles on those precious faces...
I loved these pictures! I showed the boys last night and they are enjoying them too. One of the most favorite things for me to see in these pics is Alec. :) I know your heart swells up when you see him with your sweet girl. :)
Post a Comment