Wednesday, June 4, 2008

2005swing.JPG
2005 - Alec On the Porch Swing

Very few things make me want to “pop” out of bed at 6:00 a.m…But in the summertime, when the sun is up early, I look forward to making a warm cup of coffee, and making my way out to the back porch swing, to spend some alone time before the day begins.

My grandmother introduced me to the Porch Swing from the very beginning! I remember sitting with her on the swing, that my grandfather had mounted for her, under a huge oak tree, in the cool of the summer evenings in the country. I don’t even remember our conversations. I just remember feeling the temperature change, feeling the breeze blow past my face as she kept the swing in motion, and the intense feeling of happiness and security I felt with my grandmother by my side. This is how my simple, hard-working grandmother would “wind-down” every night.

My swing was wonderful this morning as I swayed gently back and forth (smoothly I may add, since my husband oiled the chains!), coffee in hand, one foot propped up on the cushion, with the rest of me nestled in the pillows, I watched as a baby wren bounced under the feeder oblivious to my presence in his young innocence. As the morning breeze greeted me, I closed my eyes to hear the chickadees, finches, bluebirds, cardinals, jays, and other songbirds loudly proclaiming their presence singing to anyone who cared to listened, layered along with the quiet roar of a train in the background miles away. Occasionally I would hear the “hum” and chirp of a Hummingbird landing on the feeder for a quick drink. I watched as a bunny and 2 squirrels hopped across the field, and a cat on the hill hunting mice, and the fluttering of yellow butterflies as they land on the butterfly bush.

I love my moments on the swing. I’m prepared for my day, and it has made me thankful for my surroundings.

0 of Your AMAZING Comments Here!: